- Senate Bill 432 - Relating to Artificial Reefs/Placement of Vessels - Authorizes the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) to plan, establish, and administer the Florida Ships-2-Reefs Program, a statewide matching grant program, for the securing and placing of United States Maritime Administration and United States Navy decommissioned vessels in state or federal waters seaward of the state to serve as artificial reefs. Provides that the FWC is authorized to make expenditures and enter into contracts with local governments and nonprofit corporations for such purposes and shall have final approval of grants awarded under the program.
- Senate Bill 444 - Sale of Dogs and Cats/Department of Agriculture and Consumer
Services - Redefines the term “pet dealer” for purposes of provisions authorizing a purchaser to return an animal to the pet dealer and receive a refund, exchange the animal, or receive a reimbursement of expenses. Authorizes the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to enforce statutory provisions related to the sale of dogs and cats. Provides an appropriation.
- Senate Bill 604 - Relating to Quarter Horse Racing - Expresses the legislative intent to revise laws relating to quarter horse racing.
- Senate Bill 744 - Relating to Sexual Activities Involving Animals - Prohibits a person from knowingly engaging in, causing, or permitting certain sexual conduct or contact with an animal. Provides that a violation of a prohibited act is a felony of the first degree.
- Senate Bill 964 - Relating to Nicole Hornstein Act/Equine Activities - Requires any equine rider who is under 16 years of age to wear a helmet that meets applicable American Society of Testing and Materials standards for protective headgear used in horseback riding when such activity occurs in public locations, including, but not limited to, roadways or rights-of-way, equestrian and recreational trails, parks or preserves, or public school sites. Requires persons renting or leasing equines for riding by a person under 16 years of age to provide a helmet if the minor does not have one. Provides exceptions for competing or performing in certain shows or events.
- Senate Bill 1300 - Relating to Feeding or Enticement of Alligators or Crocodiles - Prohibits the feeding or enticement of alligators or crocodiles.
- Senate Bill 1304 - Relating to Saltwater Fisheries - Eliminates obsolete provisions relating to the issuance of a marine life fishing endorsement.
- Senate Bill 1496 - Relating to Service Animals for Individuals with Disabilities - Expands the definition of “service animal” to include any animal that is trained, in the process of being trained, or being raised for the purpose of being trained at a future date to perform tasks for an individual with a disability. Provides that any person who is training or raising an animal for the purpose of future training as a service animal has the same rights and privileges with respect to access to public facilities and the same liability for damage as is provided for persons accompanied by service animals. Provides that such rights and privileges extend to a volunteer who raises puppies for the purpose of future training as service animals if certain conditions are met.
- Senate Bill 1994 - Relating to Gertrude Maxwell Save a Pet Act - Support Organization with the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services for the purpose of preventing animal cruelty, assisting pet overpopulation management, providing grants to animal shelters for the purpose of spaying and neutering, reducing the need for euthanasia of animals, and supporting other pet-oriented endeavors, etc.
Sunday, February 17, 2008
2008 Florida Legislative Session Roundup: Senate
It's that time of year again when the legislators descend on Tallahassee. Here's a list of some of the animal related bills that have been presented in the Florida Senate for this session. The bill number links to the bill text and other info at the Florida Senate's website. There's also a short bill summary regarding each bill: